spacer
{Arrest This Man, He Talks In Maths } spacer

Blog : Archives : Homepage

With your feet in the air, and your head on the ground . . .

spacer
spacer

{Saturday, May 10, 2003}

 
"Stun" has to be the most overused word in the sports lexicon. I bring up CNN this morning, and a headline is "Lakers pull one back against stunned Spurs". Excuse me? The Lakers have won three straight championships. The Lakers were at home. The Lakers are the Lakers, for chrissake. The Spurs were in no way stunned.

In more hyperbole, the sportswriter compared Devean George's comeback from an ankle sprain four days ago to start the game to Willis Reed's storied gimp game in the finals 33 years ago. Were only Bill Bradley (in lieu of Lloyd Bentsen) here to say "Devean, I served with Willis Reed. I knew Willis Reed. Willis Reed was a friend of mine. Devean, you're no Willis Reed."

And while I'm on basketball, I have to mention how totally and utterly depressing it was watching Allen Iverson miss those two free throws to ice it with 12 seconds left the other night, and then to see the Sixers get dominated by . . . Tayshaun Prince. Jesus H.

posted by Miles 10:43 AM

Comments: Post a Comment
spacer