spacer
{Arrest This Man, He Talks In Maths } spacer

Blog : Archives : Homepage

With your feet in the air, and your head on the ground . . .

spacer
spacer

{Friday, April 11, 2003}

 
I read this, this morning, and it shook me:


In the city center this correspondent saw a youth wearing a red baseball cap back-to-front brandishing an AK-47 assault rifle and waiting for a passing car to hijack.

He let me go by but shot the driver of the next vehicle, dragged him out and drove away in the truck.

"Is this your liberation?" screamed one shopkeeper at the crew of a U.S. Abrams tank as youths helped themselves to everything in his small hardware store.



I guess, I'd been thinking about how fascinating it would be to go to Iraq, now, and observe the rebuilding.

Right.

Maybe these people, for whatever reason, are just so totally fucked, culturally, that there are no easy solutions, no easy fixes. This seems at the same time obvious, impossible, impolitic, and sad.

I wish it would stop raining, and stop being so cold.


posted by Miles 5:17 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
spacer